For the crust:
- 4 graham cracker sheets (8 squares)
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
For the filling:
- 8 oz. Philadelphia 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese, softened until very soft*
- 14 oz. can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup egg beaters all-whites, or regular egg beaters*
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 3 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3-4 lemons)
12-24 small strawberries, sliced
For the crust:
- In a food processor or blender, process graham crackers until very fine. Add butter and brown sugar, processing to combine.
- Spray the cups of one 24-cup (or two 12-cup) mini muffin tin generously with nonstick spray. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of graham cracker mixture into each cup. Press down firmly with a flat-bottomed shot glass to form the crust. While making the filling, place muffin tin(s) into refrigerator to chill.
For the filling and garnish:
- In a large bowl, beat together softened cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, and egg beaters until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered gelatin and boiling water until dissolved. Let cool for 2 minutes (no longer – this is crucial), then add into the cream cheese mixture along with lemon zest and juice. Beat until fully combined.
- Fill each mini muffin tin cup with a heaping tablespoon of filling, right to the top. Place filled muffin tins into the refrigerator to firm up, at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To remove chilled bites, run a blunt knife around the outside of each cup to pop it out. Top with half a strawberry, sliced in half or thin slices, as you prefer. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 weeks.
Soften the reduced-fat cream cheese until very soft to avoid a lumpy mixture. Substitute with regular cream cheese if desired.
You cannot replace the Egg Beaters with a whole egg, yolk or white. Pasteurized egg is used because the bites aren’t baked and it is safe to eat raw.