This little trick has been floating around the web for ages now so I thought it was worthy of adding to this site. I have personally done this and it always turns out to be fabulous and our family/friends love being able to wake up and toss a bag into some water so they do not have to wait on us to wake up if they are hungry.
Preparing everything the night before:
- Get a sharpie and write everyone’s name (that wants an omelet) on their own individual bag.
- Crack two eggs into each bag and shake well. I personally like to whisk mine in a bowl with some milk and then pour it in.
- Set out ingredients such as: Cheese, ham, onions (any kind), peppers, mushrooms, spinach, jalapeño’s of course, etc…
- Note: We dice up tomatoes and put in a bowl next to the salsa in the fridge and make sure they know where it is in case they want to add those in the morning as well.
- Have each person add their own ingredients to their bags and shake well.
- Remove as much excess air as possible, seal and place in refrigerator for in the morning.
- Set out a large boiling pot on the stove along with some tongs to remove the bag from the boiling water.
- Optional: Set out a box of hash-browns, oil and a skillet in case they want to prepare hash-browns with their eggs. OR buy the frozen hash brown patties and let them know its in the freezer.
- Place paper plates, cups, napkins and eating utensils on the table. (Less clean up for you if you use throw away dishes while company is in town.)
The next morning:
- Fill pot 3/4 the way full and bring to a full rolling boil. If cooking hash-browns, start these when you set the water to boil.
- Add entire bag to the water and boil for 13 minutes. (You can usually boil 6-8 omelets in a large pot.)
- After 13 minutes exactly, remove the bag and cut open. The omelet will slide out easily onto the plate.
- Serve with hash-browns or fresh fruit and everyone is happy, happy, happy!
- One other option would be to heat some tortillas and then add the egg to it and wrap it up for a yummy breakfast wrap.
You can also do this for yourself while you get ready for work as the eggs boil and enjoy a healthy breakfast at home verses McDonald’s or some other fast food joint. Always a great way to save money!!