One of my families favorite meals is Baked Ziti so I set out on a hunt for a basic recipe for my food storage, with a twist of course to my families specific needs. I like to stress that you can play with any Meal in a Jar recipe and make it your own. Have fun with it!! 🙂
- 1/3 cup Freeze Dried Sausage, optional
- 2/3 cup Freeze Dried Ground Beef, if omitting the sausage add another 1/3 cup of ground hamburger.
- 2/3 cup Tomato Powder
- 2 teaspoons McCormick’s Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Weber’s Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon dehydrated onions
- 1 cup of ziti noodles or macaroni noodles
- 1/3 cup Dehydrated Mushrooms, optional
- 1/3 cup Dehydrated Black Olives, optional
- 2/3 cup Freeze Dried Mozzarella Cheese in a sandwich bag on top of all ingredients, optional
- Start with all your powdered ingredients on the bottom of the jar. This will insure you do not suck any of the powder into your vacuum sealer. (Attachment for sealing jars.)You can also opt to use an O2 absorber if you do not have or want to buy a vacuum sealer. I have found that in the long run, purchasing a sealer is cheaper than continually buying O2 absorbers.
- Next add, in this order, onions, meat, noodles, and mushrooms. You might have to press the ingredients down some for it to all fit.
- Last, top it off with your cheese in a sandwich baggy.
- Seal jar with vacuum sealer or O2 absorber.
- Attach cooking instructions to outside of jar along with the date you made it. Sealed properly, this should last many years in your pantry as all ingredients are freeze-dried or dehydrated.
Cooking Instructions for the label:
- Add five cups water to all ingredients, bring to a boil on med/high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until noodles are done and it is semi thick.
- Re-hydrate cheese while this is cooking by spraying cheese with a little bit of water using a mister or spray bottle.
- Serve with cheese on top and enjoy!!!
(Note: The base recipe I used for this was created by Chef Tess and altered to fit my families likes.)