Fettuccine Alfredo is a classic Italian dish made up of Parmesan cheese, butter and fettuccine noodles. Although Alfredo is widely known in Italy, the term Fettuccine is not, it is simply known as pasta with butter and cheese. In the US people often add things such as broccoli, parsley, garlic, cream, shrimp or chicken.
This dish is a favorite of many, many people, including our family. So when thinking of meals I wanted for food storage this came to mind. I realize there are other meal in jar recipes for this dish, however, I am bringing my own to the table on this one. As with any other meal you create, you can add or remove any items you like to meet your families likes and dislike.
Recipe Yields 4 meals that will feed a family of four adults. One thing I love about making these meals is that often times I will already have most of the ingredients on hand from other meals I have created. Leaving me to purchase whatever I am missing, usually the meat.
- 4 quart size jars
- 4 pint size jars
- Lids/rings to seal jars
- Vacuum sealer and jar attachment OR Oxygen absorbers
Ingredients: (per jar)
- 1 cup freeze-dried chicken (4 cups = 4 meals)
- 1/4 cup Freeze dried onions (1 cup = 4 meals)
- 1/2 cup Freeze dried mushrooms, optional (2 cups = 4 meals)
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 bag (1 pound bag) medium size egg noodles (2 bags = 4 meals)
- 1 cup Knor’s Alfredo Pasta Mix (1 can = 4 meals)
- 1 tablespoon Weber’s Garlic and Herb spice mix, or any of your favorite brand.
- In your quart size jar, add about half the bag of noodles and shake down so they are packed as well as you can.
- In a baggy, add 1 cup of Alfredo mix and 1/2 cup powdered milk. Seal with as little air as possible. Place baggy on top of noodles and seal jar. If you do not want chicken or any other ingredients in your pasta then you are done. 🙂 However, if you do want to add chicken, onions, mushrooms or any other ingredients then you will need your pint size jars as well.
In a pint size jar layer FD food as followed:
- 1 cup of FD Chicken
- 1/4 cup FD onions
- 1-2 tablespoons garlic and herb mix
- Shake down mix to pack tight.
- Add 1/2 cup FD mushrooms to finish filling jar, shake down
- Add lids and seal with Vacuum sealer or add Oxygen absorber and screw on lids.
- Boil 2 cups of water, remove from heat and add contents of pint jar. Stir Once. Let sit for 15 minutes to rehydrate. Drain off excess water after food is re-hydrated.
- Mix Alfredo/milk mix with 4 cups of hot water, whisk well, set aside.
- Bring 8-10 cups of water to a rolling boil in large pot and cook noodles AL Dente, drain. (Almost done, but still firm.)
- Pour Alfredo/ Milk mixture into large pot and turn on medium high heat, whisking periodically as it heats.
- Once mix starts to boil slowly, add pasta and meat into pot, bring to a full rolling boil. (It will seem watery at first, it will thicken as it cooks.)
- Boil for approx 5 min stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is of desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and serve with garlic bread and/or salad.