I have used this recipe for close to 15 years now. I can not recall where I got it, but over the years we have added and taken away to make this soup delicious. As with all recipes….make it to suit your family!!
(Note: I have added links for dehydrated or freeze dried foods used on the ingredients list. I added these links for your convenience if you prefer to prepare freeze dried meals in jars as I do.)
- 1- Package 15 Bean Soup (Ham, Cajun or plain is fine)
- 1 lb. ham steak (diced into 1/2″ squares), ham hocks, or smoked sausage (You can store canned ham or beef stew meat in your food storage to add the meaty flavor and calories as well.)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can diced or stewed tomatoes (dehydrated tomatoes)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Juice from 1 lemon. This is a very important step, it really brings out all the flavors. (Crystallized Lemon for food storage)
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon
- 2- Jalapeño’s, seeded and diced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar, (Tip: This is not for flavor. Adding a cap or two of white vinegar locks in all the different colors in soups, stews or what ever your cooking.)
- The night before: Place beans in a large pot, cover with 2 quarts of water. Allow beans to soak overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- After soaking, drain excess water, and add 2 quarts of fresh water and meat. (Sometimes I forget this step and then have to go strain it and add fresh water, but only if its when I just start cooking it.)
- Bring to a rolling boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 2.5 hours.
- After simmering, add onion, tomatoes, chili powder, lemon and garlic. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add contents of ham packet, (optional) 1 to 2 minutes before cooking is completed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- One box of Jiffy cornbread.
- Add about 1/4 cup of sugar and cook as directed. (optional)
- Serve with honey.