While shopping at Sam’s a while back I came upon a sale for a double pack of rump roast for about $11.00. Usually $16.00 or $17.00. I brought it home and threw it in the deep freezer and forgot about it. A few days ago I thawed it to make roast and vegetables and we ended up going out that night.
I had to make something out of it before it went bad and the family had been asking for BBQ a lot lately, so I decided to use the roast and make Shredded BBQ Beef for sandwiches that night.
Ingredients: (one 3-4 pound rump roast)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 ketchup
- 1 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (Some people like to use Dijon Mustard)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- Black Pepper to taste
- 24 oz BBQ Sauce of your choosing, I like Baby Ray’s
- 1/2 – 1 large yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup diced jalapeno’s, very optional!
- Put all ingredients (except meat) in a large bowl and mix very well.
- Pour half of the mix into bottom of slow cooker.
- Place meat inside slow cooker.
- Pour remaining mix over the top. Turn meat to coat all sides.
- Sprinkle diced onion on top.
- Cook on low – medium for about four hours. Pull roast out of slow cooker and shred meat with two forks discarding any fat.
- Place back into slow cooker for another hour.
- Remove meat from slow cooker with a slotted spoon onto serving dish. Spoon some of the bbq sauce over the meat, but not a lot. If you want to spoon some sauce into a bowl and set it on the table that is fine to. Serve hot over buns or mashed potatoes.