If we eat a baked potato this is the way we do it. I have not had one single person dislike this recipe. 🙂 With twice baked potatoes the toppings and ingredients are endless. Its all about your flavor and what you like. This recipe is our base recipe. We often add Jalapeños to the adults potatoes. (big surprise right? lol)
Something else I really love about this recipe is that you can get the kids involved. After making the basic blend of ingredients you can let them add cheese, bacos, mushrooms or whatever their little hearts desire on top. 🙂
- 4-6 Large Baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup of ranch dressing, more or less to taste.
- 1/4 cup of sour cream, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1/4 pound (4oz) of Velveeta cheese. cut into small cubes or slightly melted. (usually the heat from the potatoes melts it nicely.)
(Optional: Half of a small white onion and red onion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Both of these need to be finely diced in a small mixer. Almost minced. Saute all of these in butter and then mix into the potato mixture. Other optional ingredients might be McCormick garlic and herb seasoning. We have never had to add salt to these.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F for baking the potato.
- Scrub the potato well and blot dry with a paper towel.
- Rub or brush potatoes with some oil and then rub with sea salt.
- Prick skin with fork to release the steam.
- Stand potato up on its end inside a muffin tin and bake for one hour or until a knife or fork inserts easily.
- Once done baking slice of the top of the potato. You will want to slice off as thin a piece as possible. Think of potato skins. Once i cut the top off i had cheese and bacos and stick the tops bake in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. It makes a wonderful appetizer for the family while you cook.
- Scoop out the centers into a bowl with a spoon leaving a small amount on the walls to support the potato. (not real thick, you just dont want to rip through the skin.)
- Mash the potatoes with a masher or a mixer. Add dressing, sour cream and bacon bits. (optional) You can also add your sauteed onions and garlic at this time. Stir in Velveeta.
- Beat with mixer until fluffy. You will have to use a spoon to scrape the sides.
- Add toppings such as shredded cheese, bacon, jalapenos etc…
- Spoon into shells, bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.