Did you forget to lay that meat our for dinner aaaagain? No worries. I have a recipe that will save you and taste like you spent quite a while making it, but in reality, it only takes 10-15 minutes to make and you do not even have to use a skillet. Interested yet? 🙂
I am going to show you how to make a Chicken Fiesta Rice bowl that can be stored on your shelf for months without going bad if it is stored properly. (Please read all directions on how to store at bottom of article.) To prepare it, all you have to do is add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water to it and you’re done. Yup,that’s it!
I have put together a short video to guide you in preparation and a list of the ingredients are listed below it. This meal is created using NuHarvest Freeze Dried Foods and I have to admit, once it is re-hydrated you really can’t tell that is what it is. It tastes so fresh and good. My husband and kids couldn’t tell and my husband even let some of the guys at work try it and it was a hit.
Makes 2 full cups of Chicken Fiesta Rice. You can double up the ingredients or even triple them if you have a large family. I can feed four people (2 adults, 2 teenage girls) when I double it up.
Freeze Dried Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup Freeze Dried Chicken
- 1/2 cup Freeze Dried Corn
- 1/4 cup Freeze Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Freeze Dried Red Bell Peppers, optional
- 1/4 cup Freeze Dried Green Bell Peppers, optional
- 2/3 cups INSTANT brown rice
- 1 tablespoon Freeze dried onions (Note; If using onion flakes use only 1 teaspoon.)
- 1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- 2 tsp Chicken Bouillon or Granules
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Freeze Dried Cilantro OR 1/8 tsp regular dried Cilantro
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds or Ground Flax Seed
- 1/4 tsp minced, dried Jalapeño
- Mix everything together in a bowl that will hold at least 2 cups of water.
- Boil 1 1/2 cups of water
- Pour water into bowl and stir so that all ingredients get wet and spices are blended well
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes
It is that easy. The only thing to wash are the bowls and spoons. 🙂
Storing Meal in Mason Jars:
If you are going to store a few of these already prepared meals in jars on the shelf it is imperative that you use an Oxygen absorber to seal the jar or a vacuum sealer (Jar Sealer Attachment) so the meat does not go rancid and make you sick. Eat within 3 months.
If you are making some up in baggies then you will need to store them in the refrigerator and use within 3 weeks. If you store them in the pantry they should be used with in 10 days.